About Us

College United Methodist Church in Philomath, Oregon is home to approximately 100 members and constituents, with about 50-60 attending the weekly worship service. We are a small, welcoming community that strives to live out the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to bring our love of God into the community. We invite you to visit and worship with us!

History

The church originally began as a class of Brethren migrants to Oregon. This group felt led to provide Christian higher education to the Oregon Territory, founding the town of Philomath (Love of Learning) in order to establish a United Brethren college, and constructing the adjacent college building (which now houses the Benton County Historical Society) in 1867. They met in the college building, and so became known as The College Church. After the college ceased operations in 1929, the congregation continued to meet there until 1964 when the current church building was constructed.

As a result of the denominational mergers, the congregation became Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) Church in 1946 and, with the subsequent merger of the EUB and Methodist Churches in 1968, is now College United Methodist Church.

Facility Usage

Our facility is home to Philomath Montessori School, an early childhood education program, Alcoholics Anonymous, TOPS, a geneology group and more. For rental rates and information, please call the church office (541.929.2412) or email our office staff.